Brooklyn Historical Society Museum & Daniel Putnam Tyler Law Office
The Brooklyn Historical Society Museum building and the Daniel Putnam Tyler Law Office have been owned by the society since 1972, just two years after its founding. It was in 1972 that Rainsford and Ruth Sherman donated the Daniel Putnam Law Office to the society to use as a museum and offered the present-day museum building for purchase.
With the advent of the 2007 expansion, our museum fills the entire first floor at 25 Canterbury Road.
We welcome you to join us any Wednesday or Sunday, from 1 to 5 p.m., beginning in late May and running through early October each year, to view the exhibits of the General Putnam Gallery, including the 1888 Karl Gerhardt designed bronze wolf heads stolen from the General Putnam equestrian statue in 1984 and 1985 and returned to the society in 2015, as well as the Vintage Views exhibit.
The Brooklyn Historical Society Museum and the Daniel Putnam Tyler Law Office will also be open by appointment through Walktober and thereafter. To make an appointment contact Curator Elaine Knowlton at 860-774-7728. There is no admission charge to either museum. Remember that the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum is air conditioned as well as handicapped accessible.
In addition to our museums and their exhibits, the Brooklyn Historical Society sponsors four history programs each year as well as other special events. We are pleased to welcome new members. Membership forms are available at the museum or by calling 860-774-7728.